5.14.2006

Happy hallmark day.

Well yes it is a hallmark holiday, yes it started way before hallmark but all holidays have become blown out of per potions by hallmark. Now I have read about half a dozen ways that mothers day has come about one said it was from Greeks, another from Woodrow Wilson's era. Little side not one of the ones I read this one said "Miss Anne Jarvis of Philadelphia. In May 1907, on the anniversary of her own mother's death," and then they go on to tell you about Carnations have been linked right from the beginning with Mother's Day. White Carnations were so popular that the florists ran out of them. So instead, white carnations came to be worn only if one's mother was dead. Red carnations, being more colorful, were worn if one's mother were still alive. Now I have never really heard of the carnation bit but ok if you say so.

What ever or who ever came up with the idea there are two versions of this the religious one and the no religion involved one, which ever you may want to believe in is up to you. I personally don't care were it came from, I am more or less talking about how hallmark is blown all the holidays up and over the top to make money. Every holiday has be come something for hallmark, they come out with something for every one of them, they sell millions of cards a year for all these holidays, and I am sure they make pretty good money doing so.

Now don't get me wrong I have always celebrated mothers day hell I even sent my mum a card, now I did not get my wife a card for two reasons, cards don't mean a hole lot when I cant find one that says the right things two well her gift will be on Monday and she will under stand why there was no card with this one.

No I just am starting to see to many of these hallmark holidays, there is one for you boss now are you post to get him something even know he is a raging ass? And there is one for you sectary what if she is the worst one ever do you still have to get her something, I guess the thing that bothers me is we have made it pretty fare in life do we really need holidays for every one, we got a long with out them before hallmark came up with them. I guess it is really good marketing on there behalf , think about it you start out with a few holidays and they are you big sellers, well you have slow times what do you do then you have birthdays and other little things in-between but well hell lets just start putting new holidays in the mix to keep business up.

Ok good marketing scheme, but what I don't see on the calendar is an appreciation day for postal workers you better watch it hallmark they will go postal on you.

Well happy mothers day all that are mothers, enjoy this day of approbation for you and every thing you have done or have tried to do.

4 comments:

Messed Up said...

thank you Jupiter, and thanks for the giggle.

AFSister said...

Happy Mother's Day to one of the "Other People" I mentioned in my post. Glad you stopped by and left me a comment!

AFSister said...

Happy Mother's Day to one of the "Other People" I mentioned in my post. Glad you stopped by and left me a comment!

Messed Up said...

I like being the other. well at lest i try and be.